Journalists walk a fine line when it comes to honouring off-the-record agreements.
Keeping your word is obviously paramount to maintaining trust but sometimes the reverse can be true too.
“It’s a good reminder for journalists everywhere that while off-record-promises are critical to our credibility, they are not sacrosanct,” she writes.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Take note of these digital security tips every journalist needs to know
- Tip: Get to grips with bots, botnets and trolls
- Tip: Six questions to ask (and answer) before launching a membership programme
- Tip: How to report on mass shootings
- Seven tips for better reporting on opinion polls and surveys