Whether it's business, technology or sports, getting started in any journalism specialism can seem daunting, especially when there is no shortage of reporters already covering your chosen beat.
In this post on Medium, football writer Kristan Heneage provides five tips for breaking into sports journalism.
Among his advice is to show initiative by reaching out to editors on social media to pitch stories – without being "pushy or demanding" – and to try and find a niche that will allow you to become the go-to reporter in that particular field.
Want to find out more about working as a sports journalist? Check out our interview with Sky Sports News presenter David Garrido.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 12 tools for reporting on hurricanes and other disasters
- Tip: Looking to teach journalism online? Check out this advice
- Tip: Speed up your workflow with the ultimate cheatsheet for Wordpress keyboard shortcuts
- Tip: Use this advice for interviewing children
- Tip: how to correctly report on hurricanes