Writing a headline for Facebook or Twitter that will make people stop scrolling through their feeds and actually read your story is not always easy.
Check out this Medium post from Jake Grovum, US social media editor at the Financial Times, who outlines eight principles to help guide how we write and evaluate social media headlines.
Among his tips: be conversational and aim to share an interesting piece of information from your article, as opposed to trying to "summarise situations or 800-word stories".
Free daily newsletter
- How The Telegraph is reaching teenagers with news stories on Snapchat Discover
- Tip: A step-by-step guide to creating immersive storytelling experiences
- Tip: How to handle big projects in a small, local newsroom
- Reuters Institute's Digital News Report finds a decline in social media usage for news for the first time in seven years
- 'This is about the death of the newsfeed': Stories may soon become the core of social media