Live video fans can also broadcast on Youtube, and in this article, Jennifer Nelson, senior information specialist at the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute, outlines eight tips covering the basics of livestreaming on the platform.
Nelson collected some key advice from Nicholas Whitaker, Google training and development manager, who highlighted the importance of promoting your live video in advance to make sure you can reach a high number of viewers.
Other recommendations include considering when you might need an external microphone to ensure you're broadcasting good quality audio, and remembering to stay in areas with a good wifi connection to keep your broadcast on air.
Free daily newsletter
- How NowThis coordinated social media and field reporting to safely cover a week-long protest
- Advice from Facebook for reaching wider audiences after the latest newsfeed updates
- App for journalists: Adobe Spark Video, for creating social videos on the go
- Tip: Bookmark these tools for collaborating on investigative projects
- The three pillars of mobile journalism: Q&A with Marc Settle, smartphone reporting trainer at the BBC