News organisations around the world have been experimenting with Facebook Live since it launched in April 2016, hoping to engage people in different ways and connect with new audiences.
In this article from MediaShift, Melissa Luck, assistant news director at KXLY4 News, explains how publishers can use metrics to measure their success on the platform, looking beyond reach and focusing on post engagement with the number of peak live viewers, average watch time and minutes viewed.
"The beauty of Facebook Live is that you can see instantly what’s working and what is not," she wrote.
"To be successful, you have to agree on a goal and understand the metrics that will tell you if you’re reaching that goal (or not!) before you even start streaming."
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for pitching feature articles
- Speakers from CNN and Reuters to share insights at newsrewired, 7 March
- Kit and advice for shooting and editing with a smartphone
- Tip: How to help create more diversity in photojournalism
- Tip: Check out this advice for better understanding your audience on social media