News organisations around the world have been experimenting with Facebook Live since it launched in April 2016, hoping to engage people in different ways and connect with new audiences.
In this article from MediaShift, Melissa Luck, assistant news director at KXLY4 News, explains how publishers can use metrics to measure their success on the platform, looking beyond reach and focusing on post engagement with the number of peak live viewers, average watch time and minutes viewed.
"The beauty of Facebook Live is that you can see instantly what’s working and what is not," she wrote.
"To be successful, you have to agree on a goal and understand the metrics that will tell you if you’re reaching that goal (or not!) before you even start streaming."
Free daily newsletter
- With a 90 minute Facebook Live, CBC Calgary wants to 'flip the traditional broadcast-to-social workflow'
- Tip: Take note of this advice for covering protests safely
- Tip: Check out this guide for using data to tell interactive stories
- So you want to be a political reporter?
- App for journalists: Switcher Go, for more engaging Facebook Lives