News organisations around the world have been experimenting with Facebook Live since it launched in April 2016, hoping to engage people in different ways and connect with new audiences.
In this article from MediaShift, Melissa Luck, assistant news director at KXLY4 News, explains how publishers can use metrics to measure their success on the platform, looking beyond reach and focusing on post engagement with the number of peak live viewers, average watch time and minutes viewed.
"The beauty of Facebook Live is that you can see instantly what’s working and what is not," she wrote.
"To be successful, you have to agree on a goal and understand the metrics that will tell you if you’re reaching that goal (or not!) before you even start streaming."
Free daily newsletter
- How to broadcast live with another person on Instagram
- Advice from 24 news organisations to help you tailor your story pitches
- Storytelling advice from Sarah Stillman of The New Yorker
- Tip: How to tell if that account tweeting at you is likely to be a bot
- Tip: Check out these books on journalism and writing