Would you know what to do if your website was attacked? If the answer is no, you're not alone. It's difficult to protect your online presence without some knowledge of cybersecurity, and unfortunately, smaller teams and newsrooms often lack the resources needed to employ information security consultants.
Without technical support, independent news websites are very vulnerable to attacks. Take a look at this advice from Jorge Luis Sierra at IJNet, who explains the steps you should take to prepare for such an event, and the opportunities available to journalists on a low budget.
Among others, he notes the importance of hosting your website on a dedicated server, using strong passwords, and setting up a daily backup.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth
- Tip: Check out these recommendations before bringing podcasting into the classroom
- Tip: Bookmark these tools for collaborating on investigative projects