Would you know what to do if your website was attacked? If the answer is no, you're not alone. It's difficult to protect your online presence without some knowledge of cybersecurity, and unfortunately, smaller teams and newsrooms often lack the resources needed to employ information security consultants.
Without technical support, independent news websites are very vulnerable to attacks. Take a look at this advice from Jorge Luis Sierra at IJNet, who explains the steps you should take to prepare for such an event, and the opportunities available to journalists on a low budget.
Among others, he notes the importance of hosting your website on a dedicated server, using strong passwords, and setting up a daily backup.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to tell stories using small data sets
- Tip: Check out these apps to enhance your mobile storytelling
- Tip: Check out this guide for getting started with investigative data journalism
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for pitching feature articles
- Tip: How journalists can find and visualise sports data