Would you know what to do if your website was attacked? If the answer is no, you're not alone. It's difficult to protect your online presence without some knowledge of cybersecurity, and unfortunately, smaller teams and newsrooms often lack the resources needed to employ information security consultants.
Without technical support, independent news websites are very vulnerable to attacks. Take a look at this advice from Jorge Luis Sierra at IJNet, who explains the steps you should take to prepare for such an event, and the opportunities available to journalists on a low budget.
Among others, he notes the importance of hosting your website on a dedicated server, using strong passwords, and setting up a daily backup.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to get the most out of your smartphone camera when taking pictures at night
- Tip: How to prevent female reporters from becoming targets of abuse on social media
- Tip: 3 ways to make your headlines stand out on social media
- Tip: Remember this guide for investigative web research
- Tip: Check out this advice for reporting on Islam in Europe and US