At our newsrewired digital journalism conference in London last week, Leila Haddou, data journalist at The Times and Sunday Times, outlined more than 15 open-source tools and free resources for journalists, that can be adapted to their needs and used without any coding experience necessary.
Check out the list of resources in this session write-up by Ella Navarro, outlining tools that reporters can use for story gathering, data visualisation and digital storytelling.
Among Haddou's recommendations are ContactOut and Lusha, which help journalists uncover contact details of sources, and Archive.is, for taking and storing screenshots of web pages even if they are taken offline.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- Tip: Bookmark these ways to be diverse and inclusive in your reporting
- Tip: How to get started with data journalism in a small newsroom
- Tip: Check out this budgeting advice for freelance journalists