At our newsrewired digital journalism conference in London last week, Leila Haddou, data journalist at The Times and Sunday Times, outlined more than 15 open-source tools and free resources for journalists, that can be adapted to their needs and used without any coding experience necessary.
Check out the list of resources in this session write-up by Ella Navarro, outlining tools that reporters can use for story gathering, data visualisation and digital storytelling.
Among Haddou's recommendations are ContactOut and Lusha, which help journalists uncover contact details of sources, and Archive.is, for taking and storing screenshots of web pages even if they are taken offline.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: A step-by-step guide to creating immersive storytelling experiences
- Tip: How to handle big projects in a small, local newsroom
- 5 ways data journalism became more innovative in the past few years
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos