What is it? A website and Google Chrome plug-in to help you keep track of how much time you are spending with different tasks and projects every day.
Cost: Free, with paid-for features.
How is it of use to journalists?
Whether you are a staff reporter or a freelance journalists, you have loads of tasks to complete within a limited time.
Clockify is a free tool which times your day-to-day tasks and offers you a breakdown of where you are spending all of your time. This can be a handy way to see where you can tighten up your time management.
Alternatively, you can also associate these tasks to projects. If you are freelancing, you can see how you are dividing your limited time among multiple clients. It becomes more useful as you mark certain tasks as 'billable', meaning you can cut through your diary and easily generate an overview of how much of your time is spent on tasks that generate revenue.
In our video explainer, we go through many of the basics to keeping track of your weekly schedule and generating meaningful breakdowns of your time management.
Do you want to become a successful freelancer? Learn new skills and get a certificate in freelance feature writing, pitching, copywriting, sub-editing and more. Click here for more information
Free daily newsletter
- Tool for journalists: The Progress Network, for finding experts on societal solutions
- App for journalist: JSafe, for reporting online abuse
- Solutions Journalism Network launches database to connect freelance journalists with editors
- How did you get your first men's advice column?
- What should journalists and newsrooms do when facing online abuse?