Great interviewing is the cornerstone of quality journalism. It is a fundamental tool of the trade which, when used to full effect, can uncover hidden truths, spark controversy and deliver stand-out, even historic moments across broadcast and print media.
This practical workshop, led by investigative journalist Paul Connolly, examines the techniques required to take your interview skills to the next level, leading to more engaging and revealing copy or footage.
From hostile interviews with politicians and deep-dive profile pieces to emotive on-the-record interviews with victims of trauma and hardship, this brand new course teaches participants how to get the most from a wide range of interview scenarios whilst being fair, objective and compassionate.
Paul will also provide a guide to the very latest equipment, software and apps for recording and storing audio-visual content.
As with all Journalism.co.uk courses, the training will focus on the latest tools and techniques with an emphasis on practical, hands-on learning.
No preparation is required
- Preparation – research and advanced question crafting
- Interview types – how to prepare for and conduct short, medium and in-depth interviews
- Remote interviewing – how to ensure remote interviews are as effective as those recorded in-person
- Advanced interview techniques – taking control, listening and reacting, the use of silence etc.
- Mistakes - how to recover from a mid-interview mistake or error in judgement
- Hostile interviews – preparation and advanced question crafting
- Hostile interviews - how to challenge and extract information from a reluctant and / or hostile interviewee
- Vulnerable interviewees – how to glean great content from sensitive subjects and subject matters
- Breaking news / stories – how to maximise the impact of interviews you are not prepared for
- Tech – the very latest technology and equipment for recording and storing audio-visual content.
This is an online course taking place over two, four-hour sessions on 8 and 9 February.
About Paul Connolly
Paul Connolly is an investigative broadcast journalist, television and radio presenter and documentary maker with more than 15 years’ experience under his belt.
Best known for his work on crime, and the daring undercover operations that have seen him infiltrate criminal gangs in cities and towns across Britain, Paul’s acclaimed documentaries have aired on Channel 5 (UK), ITV, Netflix, Facebook Watch, Discovery Channel, BBC Worldwide, BBC Radio 4, Nine Network in Australia, Virgin Media One in Ireland and on many networks besides.