This course is also available as part of newsrewired+. Get a ticket for the workshop and our newsrewired digital journalism conference on 22 November in London here.
If you think all social apps are starting to look the same, they are. The camera is the new keyboard and the future of social media looks like photos, gifs, text, videos and music, mixed into vertical cards. They call the all-in-one experience ‘Stories.’
Snapchat invented it, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and even Skype have now all adopted it – the vertical, mobile format dominating the social media galaxy.
Become a social discovery expert on platforms like Instagram Stories and Snapchat with this one day workshop led by Sumaiya Omar.
What will the course cover?
• The who, what, why, when and how of Stories;
• Case studies and experience;
• How to use Instagram Stories, Snapchat, and Facebook Stories
• Techniques for effective storytelling in this format;
• Snap and Insta Stories hacks and tricks;
• Repurposing content across all platforms;
• How to monetize your Stories presence;
• The future of Stories - Wearables, AI, Maps, etc.
At the end of the course, you will have a deeper understanding of:
• The power of the Stories format – why you need to be on it;
• How to create highly engaging, professional content in this format;
• Workflows to turn your ephemeral content into evergreen content;
• Monetisation opportunities.
As with all Journalism.co.uk courses, the training will focus on the latest tools and techniques with an emphasis on practical, hands-on learning.
Tea, coffee and a sandwich buffet lunch are included.
For more details, to suggest a course, or to express interest in becoming a trainer please contact us.
This course takes place at Reuters UK, Canary Wharf (30 S Colonnade, London E14 5EP)
About Sumaiya Omar
Sumaiya Omar is a social media consultant and co-founder of social video company Hashtag Our Stories, empowering mobile storytelling communities and creating a multi-channel network of daily shows, on mobiles, for mobiles because more cameras and more perspectives means more truth.
Sumaiya has spent the last five years experimenting with emerging news platforms like Snapchat and Instagram in South Africa, India and the UK and has conducted mobile journalism workshops, specialising in working with newsrooms and companies across the world to create social videos, mobile platform strategies and workflows.