But for the uninitiated, what exactly is a hack day? Why should journalists get involved, and how can you make sure you get the most out of them once you're there?
This week's podcast features advice and insights from one of the organisers behind the Build The News code event, plus a journalist and two developers who have taken part in BTN previously.
Technology editor Abigail Edge speaks to:
- Joseph Stashko, news development editor, The Times and Sunday Times
- Kadhim Shubber, reporter, Financial Times
- Alison Benjamin, web developer, The Frontline Club
- Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, Wall Street Journal Europe
You can hear future Journalism.co.uk podcasts by subscribing to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes feed.
Free daily newsletter
- 5 tips for getting started with making a podcast musical
- NewsNow started a petition against the proposed publisher's right in EU copyright law
- 'Sound is the totem': Inside the podcast musical 36 Questions
- From pub basement to the News Building: The free London meetup helping journalists learn to code
- Why political journalism is in need of new approaches and innovation