But for the uninitiated, what exactly is a hack day? Why should journalists get involved, and how can you make sure you get the most out of them once you're there?
This week's podcast features advice and insights from one of the organisers behind the Build The News code event, plus a journalist and two developers who have taken part in BTN previously.
Technology editor Abigail Edge speaks to:
- Joseph Stashko, news development editor, The Times and Sunday Times
- Kadhim Shubber, reporter, Financial Times
- Alison Benjamin, web developer, The Frontline Club
- Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, Wall Street Journal Europe
You can hear future Journalism.co.uk podcasts by subscribing to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes feed.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: 3 ways to make your voice sound better on air
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- 'The ability to adapt a tool is more important than the ability to use it': Making open source sustainable
- Today, Explained: A look at Vox's daily news explainer podcast
- Prioritising the reading experience at The Times: Why the paywall prompts radical thinking inside the newsroom