But for the uninitiated, what exactly is a hack day? Why should journalists get involved, and how can you make sure you get the most out of them once you're there?
This week's podcast features advice and insights from one of the organisers behind the Build The News code event, plus a journalist and two developers who have taken part in BTN previously.
Technology editor Abigail Edge speaks to:
- Joseph Stashko, news development editor, The Times and Sunday Times
- Kadhim Shubber, reporter, Financial Times
- Alison Benjamin, web developer, The Frontline Club
- Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, Wall Street Journal Europe
You can hear future Journalism.co.uk podcasts by subscribing to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes feed.
Free daily newsletter
- CAST: A project building a community news network in Armenia trialled an alternative to expensive mobile data
- What are bridge roles in media organisations?
- 'Stories affect us when we're out in the field' – Al Jazeera English interviewed its own reporters for an experimental podcast series
- The first podcast from Al Jazeera English used 'privileged access conversations' to take audiences beyond the story
- The Telegraph takes on audio storytelling, with podcasts and news briefings on Alexa and Google Assistant