But for the uninitiated, what exactly is a hack day? Why should journalists get involved, and how can you make sure you get the most out of them once you're there?
This week's podcast features advice and insights from one of the organisers behind the Build The News code event, plus a journalist and two developers who have taken part in BTN previously.
Technology editor Abigail Edge speaks to:
- Joseph Stashko, news development editor, The Times and Sunday Times
- Kadhim Shubber, reporter, Financial Times
- Alison Benjamin, web developer, The Frontline Club
- Elliot Bentley, graphics editor, Wall Street Journal Europe
You can hear future Journalism.co.uk podcasts by subscribing to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes feed.
Free daily newsletter
- What makes a good audio story?
- Tip: Check out these free tools for mobile audio
- Al Jazeera's latest virtual reality project immerses viewers with animated art
- Tip: Bookmark these resources for planning digital initiatives in the newsroom
- With a tool called Amplify, the Reveal podcast is tapping into listeners' desire to dig deeper into stories