Gubbay will take up the new position of head of digital content in June, the announcement adds, where he will have "a central role" in developing Johnston Press' online news platforms.
In his current role as social media editor for BBC News, Gubbay leads the editorial team in charge of user-generated content. He was also previously news editor of the BBC's sports website.
"We are delighted to welcome Alex, one of the BBC’s most experienced interactive editors, to Johnston Press," Henry Faure Walker, digital and business development director at Johnston Press said in a statement.
"He joins us at an exciting time as we look to develop further our digital content output both through our existing news websites but also through mobile and other emerging platforms."
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: A BBC journalist's guide to working in podcasting
- Licence fee, accountability and overseas opportunities central to BBC's future
- RISJ trust report: redefine your public image or bad actors will do it for you
- Online communities for young journalists: the good, the bad and the ugly
- Newsrooms choose collaborative approach to protect journalists from online trolls