Gubbay will take up the new position of head of digital content in June, the announcement adds, where he will have "a central role" in developing Johnston Press' online news platforms.
In his current role as social media editor for BBC News, Gubbay leads the editorial team in charge of user-generated content. He was also previously news editor of the BBC's sports website.
"We are delighted to welcome Alex, one of the BBC’s most experienced interactive editors, to Johnston Press," Henry Faure Walker, digital and business development director at Johnston Press said in a statement.
"He joins us at an exciting time as we look to develop further our digital content output both through our existing news websites but also through mobile and other emerging platforms."
Free daily newsletter
- Digital News Report 2020: covid-19 accelerates digital shifts in the media industry
- Does a digital detox make sense during the covid-19 crisis?
- Your comment section is only as good as your editorial strategy
- App for journalists: PhotoGrid, for creating eye-catching images on Instagram
- What will the next decade look like for journalism?