Still from the Facebook Camera promotional video
The app, which launched late yesterday, enables users to post a number of images at once and also presents pictures posted by friends, and therefore the work of photojournalists sharing their images, on the social platform in a single feed.
The app also allows images to be edited before being posted online.
On the Facebook + Journalists page the platform says the app "will make it easier to share photos from the scene of your reporting with your subscribers."
According to its iTunes page the app is compatible with "iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G".
In April this year Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced the company would be acquiring photography app Instagram.
A screengrab of the app's landing page
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this guide for contacting sources on social media
- 'A lot more video' – Facebook's Fidji Simo on the future of News Feed
- First Draft Partner Network launches to connect media and technology companies to improve social newsgathering
- How to integrate Snapchat into your social media strategy
- Distributed news: 3 takeaways from a discussion between digital editors and technology companies