In a release, Channel 4 said that Paul Brannan, who was most recently the editor of emerging platforms at the BBC, will head up its online team as senior programme editor, previously overseen by Ed Fraser, acting head of home news.
In his new role Brannan will lead the Channel 4 News' website, which relaunched in September last year, as well as social media and mobile activities.
According to the release Channel 4 News is currently developing news apps for mobile and tablet devices, the launch of which will be overseen by Brannan.
"Channel 4 News' online content is shaped around the fantastic journalists here – and their trademark depth and analysis," Brannan said in the release.
"I look forward to extending the impact of this journalism from website and social media activity through to mobile devices – and exploring how we can further amplify the unrivalled content produced by the news team."
His appointment follows the announcement last month that Cathy Newman was joining Channel 4 News' regular presenting team. It was also revealed that Matt Frei and Jackie Long were to join from the BBC as Washington correspondent and social affairs editor respectively.
Free daily newsletter
- Robot journalists revive hyperlocal communities left behind by declining regional media
- The golden rules for compelling writing
- 10 must-join Facebook groups for journalists
- Digital News Report, #GENSummit and mobile journalism apps: here is your weekly journalism news update
- Eight social media strategy tips to take into job interviews