Whether you are an established freelance journalist or are just starting out, our panel of experts offered top tips on how to pursue a freelance career.
We were joined by:
Deborah Bonello, a freelance video journalist based in Mexico City, and a regular contributor to the BBC, the Guardian, GlobalPost, the Financial Times and other newspapers and broadcasters
Marc Leverton, a Bristol-based freelance writer, editor and lecturer and former Publisher of The Big Issue South West. He is also the author of How to work as a freelance journalist
We also received contributions from John Thompson, managing director of Journalism.co.uk, and Tiffany Wright, a freelance journalist with more than 15 years experience writing for women's glossy magazines such as Company, Cosmopolitan and Grazia, also shared some tips in response on Twitter.
Journalism.co.uk also runs training courses for freelance journalists
- Writing for women's magazines (online, flexible course)
- Freelance feature writing (online, flexible course)
- Fresh ideas for freelance journalists
- Successful freelance journalism
- Copywriting for freelance journalists
Free daily newsletter
- How the EJC grants support cross-border collaborative health reporting
- Tip: Avoid these six freelancer pitching mistakes
- Tool for journalists: Pitchwhiz, for connecting freelancers with news organisations
- Tip: Check freelance fees before you pitch with "Who Pays Writers"
- 10 portfolio and publishing platforms for freelancers