Devices: iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone
What is it? An app for testing the data connection speed of your phone.
How is it of use to journalists?
If you are out in the field, perhaps on a 3G connection, and want to stream live video or transfer large files, a speed test app is really valuable.
This one comes recommended by BBC 5 Live's Nick Garnett, who is well known for iPhone reporting.
Garnett mentioned the need for a speed test app at the recent BBC News Festival, an internal BBC training day held last month. He highlighted the need to find a reliable, fast connection before attempting to livestream video or go live to a radio studio using an app such as Luci Live.
There are a number of other speed test apps available. This one is made by a company called Ookla.
Have you got a favourite app that you use as a journalist? Fill in this form to nominate an app for Journalism.co.uk’s app of the week for journalists.
Free daily newsletter
- App for journalists: PowerDirector, for advanced video editing on Android
- Tool for journalists: Shoulderpod X1 Pro, a production rig for your smartphone and accessories
- App for journalists: Clips, for creating videos with animated captions
- Tip: Tools and equipment advice for the beginner and more advanced mobile journalist
- App for journalists: Bear, for taking notes and writing articles