Devices: iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone
What is it? An app for testing the data connection speed of your phone.
How is it of use to journalists?
If you are out in the field, perhaps on a 3G connection, and want to stream live video or transfer large files, a speed test app is really valuable.
This one comes recommended by BBC 5 Live's Nick Garnett, who is well known for iPhone reporting.
Garnett mentioned the need for a speed test app at the recent BBC News Festival, an internal BBC training day held last month. He highlighted the need to find a reliable, fast connection before attempting to livestream video or go live to a radio studio using an app such as Luci Live.
There are a number of other speed test apps available. This one is made by a company called Ookla.
Have you got a favourite app that you use as a journalist? Fill in this form to nominate an app for Journalism.co.uk’s app of the week for journalists.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Consider these key points to record good quality audio on mobile
- The Daily Vox is using Instagram to tell the story of Ramadan
- 'It's a 24/7 operation' – Lessons from CNN en Marcha, one year on
- 'Tell personal stories to help explain the big issues in the news' – Q&A with mobile journalist Wytse Vellinga
- Mobile journalism is helping CBC focus on digital storytelling