Devices: iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone
What is it? An app for testing the data connection speed of your phone.
How is it of use to journalists?
If you are out in the field, perhaps on a 3G connection, and want to stream live video or transfer large files, a speed test app is really valuable.
This one comes recommended by BBC 5 Live's Nick Garnett, who is well known for iPhone reporting.
Garnett mentioned the need for a speed test app at the recent BBC News Festival, an internal BBC training day held last month. He highlighted the need to find a reliable, fast connection before attempting to livestream video or go live to a radio studio using an app such as Luci Live.
There are a number of other speed test apps available. This one is made by a company called Ookla.
Have you got a favourite app that you use as a journalist? Fill in this form to nominate an app for Journalism.co.uk’s app of the week for journalists.
Free daily newsletter
- Hacks, tips and tricks for mobile journalists
- App for journalists: Cardboard Camera, for taking and sharing 360-degree photos
- App for journalists: Pocket Reporter, for guiding trainee journalists through the newsgathering process
- 'You're holding a device that looks like a gun' – The dangers of mobile journalism in war zones
- Tip: How to use your iPhone's burst mode to take the perfect shot