Devices: iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone
What is it? An app for testing the data connection speed of your phone.
How is it of use to journalists?
If you are out in the field, perhaps on a 3G connection, and want to stream live video or transfer large files, a speed test app is really valuable.
This one comes recommended by BBC 5 Live's Nick Garnett, who is well known for iPhone reporting.
Garnett mentioned the need for a speed test app at the recent BBC News Festival, an internal BBC training day held last month. He highlighted the need to find a reliable, fast connection before attempting to livestream video or go live to a radio studio using an app such as Luci Live.
There are a number of other speed test apps available. This one is made by a company called Ookla.
Have you got a favourite app that you use as a journalist? Fill in this form to nominate an app for Journalism.co.uk’s app of the week for journalists.
Free daily newsletter
- 'More views, angles and perspective': Why community journalism may be the future of news
- App for journalists: FilmoraGo, for editing videos on your smartphone
- Seven lessons learned in a year teaching mobile journalism
- Tip: Try these 5 apps to help you work smarter in 2018
- 'We went for goofy': Lessons from Omrop Fryslân's first Facebook Live with multiple cameras