Intermediate data journalism: Take data to next level
Now that you know the basics about data journalism, get ready to take your skills to the next level. You'll leave the course with more confidence on how to tame data, make more powerful visualisations and build stronger cases from your investigative reporting
The course is aimed at journalists and editors who have a basic understanding of spreadsheets and data and want to learn more practical skills, as well as previous attendees of our 'introduction to data journalism' course.
Course requirements: Participants are expected to already be able to use a number of spreadsheet techniques such as pivot tables, calculating averages, counts and sums.
This course will cover:
You will leave with an understanding of:
- Beyond average: Getting savvy with statistics
- More advanced spreadsheet techniques
- Making more of maps
- Interactive visualisations
- How to mashup data
- How to use pivot tables in spreadsheets
- How to tidy unruly data with Google Refine
- Bringing a data story to life – visualisation, case studies and personalisation