Trainer Glen Mulcahy, innovation lead at Irish broadcaster RTÉ, refers to the smartphone as "the camera you always have with you".
His simple tips and techniques demonstrate how the humble smartphone can be used to shoot and edit photos and videos, record broadcast-quality audio and live-stream content for television and radio.
Glen will also advise on the best mobile journalism apps to use, the accessories that are worth investing in and, perhaps more importantly, the ones that are not.
This course focuses mainly on the iPhone, but offers general advice on other types of smartphone too.
This course is also available as a part of a news:rewired+ package, which includes a ticket to our next news:rewired digital journalism conference on 23 July in London.
What will I learn by the end of the course?
- Some of the basic principles of photography
- How to shoot professional quality video interviews
- How to shoot sequences and general views (GVs) to tell your story with pictures
- How to record great audio interviews and clips
- How to edit video on a smartphone, iPad or other tablet, or desktop
- How to compress and/or transfer large files over the internet
- How to set up quick and efficient work flows for your news outlet to get video, images and audio back to the newsroom
- You will need to bring a smartphone to attend this course
The nearest Tube station to MSN UK is Victoria, on the Victoria, Circle and District lines.