As French police forces continue the manhunt around the city, commentators speculate as to the motivation behind the attack – pointing to the publication's history in mocking Muslim extremists and publishing cartoons of Mohammad.
Worldwide, the hashtag #JeSuisCharlie has become a symbol of solidarity among journalists and those appalled by the shooting, and many have taken to social media to organise events in support of the magazine and press freedom.
The below map, from developers at French national Le Monde, details many such peaceful gatherings around the globe, with a significant number organised through Facebook.
A listing of #JeSuisCharlie Facebook events can be found here and feel free to leave information about other events in the comments below.
Thanks to @edouardng for bringing the map to our attention.
Free daily newsletter
- FT used 360-degree video to add a new dimension to an ongoing project
- Russian newspaper editor-in-chief Dmitry Muratov receives Golden Pen of Freedom award
- App for journalists: Storyo, for turning your photos into multimedia stories
- Journalism behind bars: Vice and Al Jazeera advocating for freedom of the press
- Journalism is not a crime: Supporting press freedom by advocating for imprisoned journalists