Neal Mann, pictured here at the news:rewired conference in February this year, is known as @fieldproducer on TwitterCredit: By John C Thompson on Flickr. All rights reserved
Mann, who is better known as @fieldproducer on Twitter and other social media, will start his role working from the UK and will relocate to New York when his visa permits.
He will work with Liz Heron, director of social media and engagement, who joined the WSJ from the New York Times earlier this year, and the title's two other social media editors.
Mann announced his departure from Sky News in March, before he secured the new role.
The appointment announcement was made today by Raju Narisetti, managing editor of the news outlet's digital network, who joined the News Corp-owned WSJ from the Washington Post.
Narisetti read from a memo, which is published on Poynter, stating: "In this key role, Neal will build on our ongoing efforts to cover stories, particularly outside the US, with new storytelling tools and deepen engagement with our readers globally, as well as work on innovative ways to expand our video efforts into the social media realm. He will report to Liz Heron."
Free daily newsletter
- Creation and curation: Building newsroom tools at Dow Jones
- A storytelling exercise: Opportunities for publishers on Snapchat Discover
- 'I don't regret learning to code for a single second' – Q&A with Elliot Bentley
- Everything you need to catch up on news:rewired
- Remembering 7/7: Digital coverage of the anniversary