Napier's promotion follows the announcement of plans to merge the editorship of the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening PostCredit: by Ben Sutherland on Flickr. Some rights reserved
According to the publisher, his new role gives him responsibility for "accelerating digital content initiatives" and he will report to Henry Faure Walker, digital & business development director.
Faure Walker said: "We're delighted that Paul will be taking up this exciting new role.”
“He will be instrumental in our plans to accelerate our digital content output in our newsrooms throughout Johnston Press."
Peter Charlton, the current editor of the Yorkshire Post, will assume responsibility for the editorship of the Yorkshire Evening Post as part of his new role as editorial director for Yorkshire Post Newspapers Limited.
Johnston Press announced plans to merge the editorship of the two papers earlier this month, as part of a drive to create a "more efficient management structure".
Both appointments take effect from 7 May 2012.
Free daily newsletter
- 6 social media trends for publishers from Johnston Press
- Johnston Press launches first digital-led title
- 'It's not radical': The case for 'central content hubs' in news
- Yorkshire Evening Post teams up with The City Talking to reach a younger audience
- Coventry Telegraph web traffic rises 360% in 6 months