Editorial staff at all three of News International's remaining newspapers are understood to be affected by the planned cutsCredit: Yui Mok/PA
News International is to cut its workforce by 110, the company told staff today.
It is understood that the cuts will affect editorial staff at all three of the publisher's national titles, the Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times.
An internal email from new chief executive Tom Mockridge, who replaced Rebekah Brooks, said that there would also be "discussions" with editors about the use of casual staff as the company sought further efficiencies.
The email revealed that just 23 positions had been made available within the company to former News of the World employees, an estimated 200 of which were left without a job when the tabloid was closed in July. It also states that 89 News of the World staff have opted for the enhanced redundancy terms offered.
Mockridge added that the company was developing an additional digital business that would offer a further 21 jobs. The company declined to comment further on the development.
He said that the company is doing "everything we can to find jobs for those who were directly affected by the closure" of the News of the World.
A consultation has now begun between News International and staff association NISA over the redundancy plans, which will see 110 staff cut from an overall workforce of 3,000. Mockridge's email revealed that 100 vacancies at the company have been left unfilled.
According to Mockridge, money has been invested in a "simpler editorial system" that will enhance print-to-digital conversion and minimise duplication, a "new customer management system" to manage subscriptions more efficiently, and mobile development to give customers more choice over how they access content.
Mockridge said: "These proposals are the result of long-standing plans which I, and the rest of the executive team, believe to be key to ensuring our titles, our brands and our future in print and digital remain an indispensable part of the national and international media."
Barry Fitzpatrick, head of publishing at the National Union of Journalists, said: "Rupert Murdoch received a £12.5 million bonus from News Corp for the last financial year and it is a disgrace he is going to make staff redundant.
"The money was generated by hard-working employees who have remained loyal during the present crisis. The announcement is a kick in the teeth and the money should be spent on investment and jobs rather than rewarding executives at the top."
The announcement comes as former News of the World editor Colin Myler and former News International legal manager Tom Crone face the culture, media, and sport select committee to answer questions on phone hacking.
Former director of legal affairs Jonathan Chapman and for HR director Daniel Cloke also appeared. Chapman and Cloke, who were tasked with carrying out a review of emails in relation to former News of the World journalist Clive Goodman's employment appeal, stood by their "narrow" inquiry, insisting there were no suggestions at the time of further illegal activity.
This morning also saw the first hearing in Lord Leveson's public inquiry into phone hacking, during which organisations and individuals applied for "core participant" legal status in the inquiry.
Free daily newsletter
- Mainstream media eye LGBTQ+ audiences as dedicated brands struggle to survive
- Save Journalism Project launches fundraiser to pay laid-off US reporters $2-a-word to write about media job cuts
- The Cairncross Report: first impressions
- Discover Leveson helps journalists examine their profession
- The Sun is hiring 16 journalists for Sunday edition