Members of the union said earlier this week that they would act on a ballot for strike action unless management guaranteed there would be no compulsory redundancies in the reorganisation plans.
In a previous statement, Sheffield Newspapers managing director John Bills said the proposal was for a reduction of 9.5 full-time roles within the subbing team at Sheffield.
He said at the time that five new roles would be created and an additional 18 editorial roles are available within the North Midlands/South Yorkshire region and that therefore there would be no overall reduction to current headcount.
Today the NUJ announced that a two-day strike will take place on Wednesday and Thursday next week involving 57 of its members.
"The decision to strike was taken at an exceptionally well-attended meeting of our NUJ chapel," NUJ organiser Chris Morley said in a report from the union.
At the time of writing no one was available for comment at Johnston Press.
Free daily newsletter
- 'Is the NUJ relevant to new generation of journalists?'
- NUJ gen sec: Union protection 'needed by journalists now more than ever'
- NUJ may cut one fifth of staff in face of 'severe financial crisis'
- Associated Press journalists balloted for industrial action
- Broadcasters win judicial review of Dale Farm footage order