Reported figures on how much freelance journalists earn can differ widely.
More than half of freelance journalists surveyed by the NUJ in 2015 said they had suffered financial hardship, and almost 90 per cent said their rates had not increased in the past year.
Having said that, six-figure freelancers are not some mythical unicorn species, galloping through a forest of money trees.
“It’s interesting how freelancers and others operating alone have a wider range of reported salaries than those working as staffers within an organization,” wrote Julia Haslanger in her analysis of results from the Journo Salary Sharer tool she launched last year.
To help shed more light on how much freelance journalists earn, we’ve put together a survey with 15 quick questions (some of them optional!).
All responses are anonymous, and the results will be published on Journalism.co.uk in July.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Try out these tools to help you write and edit your stories
- Tip: Check out this free resource for women in photography
- Tip: Take note of these ways to find freelance writing jobs
- Tip: 7 ways to find your next freelance writing job
- Tip: 9 pointers for new freelancers to get started on the right foot