The turn of the year gives us an opportunity to reflect on the year just gone and think about the year ahead.
The thing is, we could be here all day bemoaning how awful 2020 has been. Instead, we put a single question out to our community: what is your one hope or wish for the media industry in 2021?
In our final podcast of the year, we bring you a special episode with Journalism.co.uk's editor Marcela Kunova and reporter Jacob Granger, who offer thoughts on your submissions based on our coverage throughout the year. After all, we too have been no strangers to the setbacks of 2020.
Many thanks to submissions from Jules Hotz (Solutions Journalism Network), Thomas Baekdal (Baekdal Media), Ayo Adekaiyero (PressPad), Reha Kansara (BBC Three) and Mike Donoghue (Subtext).
We heard wishes ranging from upping the focus on news that the public genuinely needs, to a continued commitment to providing opportunities for aspiring journalists in a difficult market, to doubling-down on our own internal strategies rather than chasing fancy new trends.
We wish you a lovely Christmas and hope you get some well-deserved rest.
Free daily newsletter
- How to make the most of mentorships throughout covid-19
- How do you manage a breaking news team from home?
- New campaign calls for a genuine commitment to diversify UK newsrooms
- Inside a US local TV station's solutions journalism approach to covid-19 coverage
- Hostwriter to create a virtual, cross-border newsroom to "unbias the news"