In this week’s podcast, we speak to news editor of Pink News, Tufayel Ahmed, about how to bring greater LGBTQ+ diversity into newsrooms and the content they produce.
Ahmed explains that news organisations are failing to represent the communities they serve and that hiring practices need to change to make sure LGBTQ+ voices are heard in traditional media outlets.
We also spoke about the effects of a lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ news coverage, how minority groups are treated in the workplace and what news organisations can do to improve their reports on issues in the LGBTQ+ community.
Free daily newsletter
- Tool for journalists: Representation Matters, for royalty-free images that promote diversity
- Meet The Sista Collective - podcast made by and for Black British women
- New speaker joins Newsrewired panel on diversity in the newsroom
- Tool for journalists: Newsroom Transparency Tracker, for assessing trustworthiness of news
- How power and privilege shape communities