In this week’s podcast, we speak to news editor of Pink News, Tufayel Ahmed, about how to bring greater LGBTQ+ diversity into newsrooms and the content they produce.
Ahmed explains that news organisations are failing to represent the communities they serve and that hiring practices need to change to make sure LGBTQ+ voices are heard in traditional media outlets.
We also spoke about the effects of a lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ news coverage, how minority groups are treated in the workplace and what news organisations can do to improve their reports on issues in the LGBTQ+ community.
Free daily newsletter
- 10 journalists from under-represented backgrounds can win a ticket to Newsrewired
- "Apologies can be very important, but they’re only a first step to righting a wrong"
- Where is the problem in the diversity pipeline?
- Indifference, not hostility, is the main barrier to building trust in news
- Decolonising journalism: what does it mean, why does it matter and where do you start?