In this week’s podcast, we speak to news editor of Pink News, Tufayel Ahmed, about how to bring greater LGBTQ+ diversity into newsrooms and the content they produce.
Ahmed explains that news organisations are failing to represent the communities they serve and that hiring practices need to change to make sure LGBTQ+ voices are heard in traditional media outlets.
We also spoke about the effects of a lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ news coverage, how minority groups are treated in the workplace and what news organisations can do to improve their reports on issues in the LGBTQ+ community.
Free daily newsletter
- "I don't trust the news trying to tell our stories."
- BBC World Service publishes Instagram-first documentary to engage younger audiences
- Transphobia Project uses data visualisation to zoom in on outlets that spread biased transgender content
- Have your say in the new inquiry on the future of journalism
- Mainstream media eye LGBTQ+ audiences as dedicated brands struggle to survive