In this week’s podcast, we speak to news editor of Pink News, Tufayel Ahmed, about how to bring greater LGBTQ+ diversity into newsrooms and the content they produce.
Ahmed explains that news organisations are failing to represent the communities they serve and that hiring practices need to change to make sure LGBTQ+ voices are heard in traditional media outlets.
We also spoke about the effects of a lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ news coverage, how minority groups are treated in the workplace and what news organisations can do to improve their reports on issues in the LGBTQ+ community.
Free daily newsletter
- 'Brexit bump' or news avoidance? Here is how Brexit has affected the UK press
- ‘I became a journalist aged 31, as a single parent and a woman of colour’
- Fever Pit'ch: a football newsletter powered by reader-first approach and strong community
- Weekly journalism news update: education, audience engagement and expert sound design
- Educating young people on news deserts, misinformation and social exclusion in the media industry