In this week’s podcast, we speak to news editor of Pink News, Tufayel Ahmed, about how to bring greater LGBTQ+ diversity into newsrooms and the content they produce.
Ahmed explains that news organisations are failing to represent the communities they serve and that hiring practices need to change to make sure LGBTQ+ voices are heard in traditional media outlets.
We also spoke about the effects of a lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ news coverage, how minority groups are treated in the workplace and what news organisations can do to improve their reports on issues in the LGBTQ+ community.
Free daily newsletter
- Al Jazeera uses 360-video to show the scale of destruction in Yemeni civil war
- HuffPost UK launches two new sections that will pay contributors
- UK legacy media still struggles to give women a voice (but is getting better at it)
- The talent question: why newsroom culture needs to change
- Getty Images tackles the lack of female and non-binary voices in photojournalism