As crowdfunding becomes a more common method of funding, both for individual journalism projects and for independent media organisations, how does being paid directly by the audience affect the way reporters go about their work?
At record-setting crowdfunded media outlet De Correspondent, journalists work together with members to add more depth to stories. But how does this relate to their funding, and do others think crowdfunding leads to a closer relationship with the audience?
This week's guests are:
- Ernst-Jan Pfauth, co-founder and publisher, De Correspondent
- Jess McCabe, acting features editor, Inside Housing, and freelance features writer
- Sarah Hartley, editor, Contributoria
Free daily newsletter
- Sustainable newsroom: relevance and trust are key for successful crowdfunding
- Tool for journalists: Outriders Network database, for discovering the best interactive storytelling projects
- ‘Solutions journalism on journalism itself’
- South American journalists use social media to publish uncensored versions of their investigative stories
- New interactive map helps you find constructive journalists around the world