As crowdfunding becomes a more common method of funding, both for individual journalism projects and for independent media organisations, how does being paid directly by the audience affect the way reporters go about their work?
At record-setting crowdfunded media outlet De Correspondent, journalists work together with members to add more depth to stories. But how does this relate to their funding, and do others think crowdfunding leads to a closer relationship with the audience?
This week's guests are:
- Ernst-Jan Pfauth, co-founder and publisher, De Correspondent
- Jess McCabe, acting features editor, Inside Housing, and freelance features writer
- Sarah Hartley, editor, Contributoria
Free daily newsletter
- Weekly journalism news update: transcription app, journalism students and storytelling
- How to build an effective cross-border investigative team
- Job interview tips, crowdfunding and IGTV: here is your weekly journalism news update
- Tip: How to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign
- The Seattle Times uses crowdfunding to stay independent as ad revenue dwindles