Email newsletters are increasingly becoming an important part of news organisations' audience development strategies.
They are mobile-friendly, and they offer a direct line of communication with your readers, without having to worry about an algorithm that may or may not show your stories.
The Telegraph has been building an editorial newsletter strategy, as it focuses on increasing the number of registered users on its website.
The team, which is currently expanding, has already launched several new daily newsletters and updated existing ones. The strategy is centred around drawing clear lines between editorial newsletters and the commercial ones.
With a conversational tone and a personality-driven approach, The Telegraph's editorial newsletters focus on authored analysis, sharing both stories written by Telegraph journalists and by competitors.
In this week's podcast, Dan Silver, head of digital publishing at The Telegraph, explains the team's approach and goals, and shares the challenges of building a strategy from scratch.
Free daily newsletter
- Weekly journalism news update: virtual reality, WhatsApp audio briefings and TikTok
- The Telegraph is growing its subscriptions with WhatsApp audio briefings
- The Tip Off shows emotional and legal impact of investigative journalism
- Bellingcat launches investigative podcast about the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash
- Tip: Rethink your newsletter metrics