This six-week course will guide you step-by-step through the reporting and production methods for mobile journalism.
Students will learn to use their phones for filming, editing, interviewing, reporting, script writing, voice-overs, and writing to pictures.
You will make 10 projects and build skills and confidence at each step of your journey.
Total course length: 18 hours (3 hours per week to complete coursework)
Course date: This course will commence on 1 September 2019
What will I learn in this course?
- The storytelling techniques for creating snackable and shareable visual content for mobile audiences.
- How to create a wide range of multimedia content and how to organise workflows.
This course pack is used by students and faculty at major universities in Europe and the USA and is designed to help busy professors lead students on a video storytelling journey for an entire semester. From setting up the camera to making a mini-documentary film.
This course is used by reporters at The New York Times, Reuters, 24SATA, RTÉ, AP, Mediacorp, Channel News Asia, The Straits-Times, SPH Magazines, TVN24, VRT Belgium, and CNN.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Use smartphones for newsgathering
- Shoot video with smartphones
- Produce live streams using smartphones
- Conduct interviews with smartphones
- Edit video with smartphones
- Present stories for mobile audiences
- Produce videos for different social platforms
- Produce social video reports with a smartphone
- Write a great script and record voice-over narration
- Produce reporter-led stories
- Report character-led stories
- Produce piece-to-camera segments
- Produce vertical video stories
- Make a video from photos and a script
- Edit video on deadline
- Record smooth video
- Film in shot sizes and patterns
- Use the best apps for video
- Perform simple, but powerful video editing
- Compress time with sequences
- Edit audio tracks
- Storyboard a short video report
- Organise visual elements into a video story
At the end of the course, each delegate will receive a certificate attesting their skills.
This is an online course. The training will run on The Smart Film School platform and a closed Facebook group.
About Robb Montgomery
Robb Montgomery is a professor of mobile journalism and the author of Smartphone Video Storytelling (Routledge – New York & London). He is an award-winning documentary filmmaker and former newspaper editor (Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune).
He teaches the certificate course in Digital Storytelling for the public information officers of the United Nations and trains reporters from CNN, The New York Times, Reuters, Channel News Asia, Belgian Public Television, Russ Media, Al Jazeera, and Singapore Press Holdings.
In 2011 he developed the mobile journalism training program for Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty and has trained more than 20,000 storytellers in mobile video methods.
He holds a BA in Journalism (1990 - Eastern Illinois University).
"Robb is an excellent instructor. He knows his subject matter and teaches each module clearly. I highly recommend his course. Enroll now!"
— Jayson Guerrero
"I am a senior at Notre Dame in a Multimedia Journalism class with Len Clark and I found this course to be extremely helpful and interesting! Definitely many tools that I can utilize in my future career!"
— Elizabeth Carson
"Robb is very clear and straightforward in his teaching, and I appreciate the way his lectures are backed up with slide or text reviews. Production quality is professional. Highly recommended!”
– Stephen Box