If they hit their target of $2.5m within the next month, they will be launching The Correspondent fully staffed in spring 2019. This is not their first experience with crowdfunding – De Correspondent was launched on the back of a world-record campaign back in 2013, raising €1.7m.
From 19,000 members to 60,000 in five years, they are keeping on expanding their distinctive ad-free, membership model to English-speaking audiences.
The publisher is also known for an original approach to delivering editorial content with its ‘unbreaking news' style, which has been teased out in the run-up to the launch in a series of Medium posts. In this week’s podcast, Rob Wijnberg, founder, De Correspondent explains what type of news coverage English speaking audiences can expect if The Correspondent hit their crowdfunding target.
Free daily newsletter
- Investigative journalism startup uses mobile gaming to finance its future
- Online news gradually shifts away from free content and towards pay models
- Job interview tips, crowdfunding and IGTV: here is your weekly journalism news update
- Tip: How to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign
- The Seattle Times uses crowdfunding to stay independent as ad revenue dwindles