Dressed in the niqab face veil, the piece reported on what life is like for civillians living in the territory today in the context of peace talks between the Taliban and the US.
In this week's podcast, we speak to Ward about the security measures and ethical challenges, and her experience of interviewing local clinics, shadow governors and military generals as a white, western, female journalist.
Free daily newsletter
- Gender on the agenda for the future of ethical journalism
- IJF 2019: Driving deep-change and fuelling mobile journalism
- Lessons in newsroom innovation from Perugia
- CNN provides a window into life under Taliban rule for the first time in 17 years
- 6 lessons on re-engaging audience with your magazine brand