Dressed in the niqab face veil, the piece reported on what life is like for civillians living in the territory today in the context of peace talks between the Taliban and the US.
In this week's podcast, we speak to Ward about the security measures and ethical challenges, and her experience of interviewing local clinics, shadow governors and military generals as a white, western, female journalist.
Free daily newsletter
- Gender Gap Tracker shows inequality in quoting male and female experts
- #MeToo #SolutionsToo grants enable journalists to report on sexual offences
- Men are much more likely than women to be quoted as expert sources: How does Journalism.co.uk compare?
- Tip: Things to keep in mind when working with fixers
- Tip: Check out this career advice for women in journalism