Dressed in the niqab face veil, the piece reported on what life is like for civillians living in the territory today in the context of peace talks between the Taliban and the US.
In this week's podcast, we speak to Ward about the security measures and ethical challenges, and her experience of interviewing local clinics, shadow governors and military generals as a white, western, female journalist.
Free daily newsletter
- The old, the new and the unexpected mediums for telling human stories
- Getty Images tackles the lack of female and non-binary voices in photojournalism
- Gender on the agenda for the future of ethical journalism
- IJF 2019: Driving deep-change and fuelling mobile journalism
- Lessons in newsroom innovation from Perugia