Dressed in the niqab face veil, the piece reported on what life is like for civillians living in the territory today in the context of peace talks between the Taliban and the US.
In this week's podcast, we speak to Ward about the security measures and ethical challenges, and her experience of interviewing local clinics, shadow governors and military generals as a white, western, female journalist.
Free daily newsletter
- "Feeling inferior is something a lot of us battle with. This is a mindset I want to help shift"
- How to find and succeed in journalism job abroad?
- The value of mentorship opportunities - and where to find (some of) them
- What skills will journalists need in 2020?
- Words By Women returns in protest of gender imbalance at the British Journalism Awards