Dressed in the niqab face veil, the piece reported on what life is like for civillians living in the territory today in the context of peace talks between the Taliban and the US.
In this week's podcast, we speak to Ward about the security measures and ethical challenges, and her experience of interviewing local clinics, shadow governors and military generals as a white, western, female journalist.
Free daily newsletter
- What more can newsrooms do to tackle the issue of social mobility?
- The Sista Collective: a BBC podcast that puts BAME women at the heart of key conversations
- CNN launches Facebook-funded mobile-first daily news show 'Go There'
- Weekly journalism news update: LinkedIn, female representation and digital security
- UK legacy media still struggles to give women a voice (but is getting better at it)