Whether you are using YouTube, Periscope or Facebook Live to broadcast live to your audience, successful streams often actively engage the viewers in the event as opposed to just showing them footage.
Simone Kovacs, who covers media innovation and video production for The Video Strategist and In the Field, provides four tips for more engaging livestreams in this article on MediaShift.
Have a colleague monitor and respond to comments to keep the conversation going, she advises, and if you are broadcasting alone, try to have access to a second phone to receive the latest updates on a breaking news event and communicate it to both viewers and to the newsroom.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to set up a productive dialogue in a podcast without a host
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- The changing relationship between news organisations and their audiences
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- Tip: Bookmark these ways to be diverse and inclusive in your reporting