Podcasting is a massively expanding market, with over 700,000 active podcasts worldwide.
She advised to allocate plenty of time to learning how to produce a solid podcast. Three out of four podcasts do not make it past episode seven, simply because they underestimate the necessary time investment.
"Podcasts can be incredibly lucrative for a business, but if you don't know why you are doing it and aren't prepared to dedicate the time required, it is probably better to not even start than to fizzle out after seven episodes," Palmer wrote.
Want to use podcasts to grow your audience? Join our workshop with Suchandrika Chakrabarti, host of Freelance Pod, at Newsrewired on 27 November 2019 to find out how. Head to newsrewired.com for the full agenda and tickets
Free daily newsletter
- Standing out in a crowded market: what makes a top news podcast?
- Growing the next generation of journalists, with Karen Fowler-Watt
- Inside the New Statesman’s award-winning podcast commercial strategy
- 39 media podcasts that should be on every journalist's radar in 2023
- Chris Stone, executive producer at the New Statesman, on monetising podcasts