Going freelance after enjoying the financial comfort and security of a full-time job can be daunting, but there are many benefits to going it alone.
Before you make the transition, check out this article from Kathryn McLamb at PopSugar, who shares five lessons she's learned as a full-time freelancer.
She explains that hustling to get work takes more than just writing skills, as no matter what type of freelancer you become, "you're essentially starting your own business the moment you become self-employed".
Structure and balance, she explains, will become your best friends, because the freelance life isn't as glamorous as it seems.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Use these tools to collect and showcase your work
- Advice for navigating the vital but vulnerable world of freelance journalism
- Tool for journalists: Readsy, for speed-reading articles and reports
- The importance of 'cultural absorption' when writing a book fit for the small screen
- Tip: Bookmark this advice if you're looking to go freelance