Going freelance after enjoying the financial comfort and security of a full-time job can be daunting, but there are many benefits to going it alone.
Before you make the transition, check out this article from Kathryn McLamb at PopSugar, who shares five lessons she's learned as a full-time freelancer.
She explains that hustling to get work takes more than just writing skills, as no matter what type of freelancer you become, "you're essentially starting your own business the moment you become self-employed".
Structure and balance, she explains, will become your best friends, because the freelance life isn't as glamorous as it seems.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Avoid these six freelancer pitching mistakes
- Tool for journalists: Pitchwhiz, for connecting freelancers with news organisations
- Tip: Check freelance fees before you pitch with "Who Pays Writers"
- 10 portfolio and publishing platforms for freelancers
- Real-life nightcrawler: The reporter who rides her kick scooter around NYC to shoot breaking news