Going freelance after enjoying the financial comfort and security of a full-time job can be daunting, but there are many benefits to going it alone.
Before you make the transition, check out this article from Kathryn McLamb at PopSugar, who shares five lessons she's learned as a full-time freelancer.
She explains that hustling to get work takes more than just writing skills, as no matter what type of freelancer you become, "you're essentially starting your own business the moment you become self-employed".
Structure and balance, she explains, will become your best friends, because the freelance life isn't as glamorous as it seems.
Free daily newsletter
- Buzzfeed, Gal-dem, VICE…: What the closure of big digital media brands means for freelancers
- How The Bristol Cable is diversifying its freelancing opportunities
- UK’s first awards scheme for freelance journalists opens
- Mentorship scheme for aspiring journalists relaunches
- Five tips for journalists to thrive in self-employment