For freelance journalists, email newsletters can be a particularly useful way of staying up-to-date with industry opportunities and getting career advice.
Almost all of her 13 recommendations are free to subscribe to, with some offering extra content for paid subscribers.
"Whether you're looking for an entry level journalism vacancy, a freelance gig or funding opportunities, email newsletters are fighting the mysticism and elusiveness that so often surrounds this industry," Lord explained.
For the latest news, journalism tips, job vacancies and more, make sure to subscribe to our free daily newsletter.
Free daily newsletter
- Five ideas to convert readers into subscribers
- The Washington Post discovers an engaged gaming audience
- Noon founder Eleanor Mills: "Women don't have a sell-by date"
- Buzzfeed, Gal-dem, VICE…: What the closure of big digital media brands means for freelancers
- How The Bristol Cable is diversifying its freelancing opportunities