What is it? Otter.ai is a voice recording app and transcribing tool to help you save time when turning interviews into written content.
Cost: Free, with paid subscription options for more minutes and extra features
Devices: iOS and Android, as well as desktop
How is it of use to journalists?
Transcribing interviews can often be a long and laborious task for journalists. Otter.ai helps save time by doing that as you record your interview, so you can stay focused on the conversation.
The app allows you to take pictures and highlight quotes during a recording, export the final transcription as a PDF and jump to any part of the recording by tapping on a word in the transcription.
In our video explainer, we walk you through how to get started with the app.
Newsrewired delegates on 27 Nov @reutersUK London have a good chance to win a Dreamgrip Scout - a universal modular video #mojo rig from @DREAMGRIP_OFCL (https://t.co/SrShODOz2j). Just fill in a feedback form! No ticket yet? https://t.co/uFqgW488Eg #newsrw #journalism #event pic.twitter.com/azRjDgKUbM— newsrewired (@newsrewired) October 29, 2019
Free daily newsletter
- Four ways journalists can protect sources using the “deep web”
- Seven tried-and-tested steps to growing your digital subscription model
- Seven free tools for journalists to try in 2021
- App for journalists: MyScoop, for commissioning mobile and citizen journalism
- Tip: Prepare for the US presidential election