What is it? Otter.ai is a voice recording app and transcribing tool to help you save time when turning interviews into written content.
Cost: Free, with paid subscription options for more minutes and extra features
Devices: iOS and Android, as well as desktop
How is it of use to journalists?
Transcribing interviews can often be a long and laborious task for journalists. Otter.ai helps save time by doing that as you record your interview, so you can stay focused on the conversation.
The app allows you to take pictures and highlight quotes during a recording, export the final transcription as a PDF and jump to any part of the recording by tapping on a word in the transcription.
In our video explainer, we walk you through how to get started with the app.
Newsrewired delegates on 27 Nov @reutersUK London have a good chance to win a Dreamgrip Scout - a universal modular video #mojo rig from @DREAMGRIP_OFCL (https://t.co/SrShODOz2j). Just fill in a feedback form! No ticket yet? https://t.co/uFqgW488Eg #newsrw #journalism #event pic.twitter.com/azRjDgKUbM— newsrewired (@newsrewired) October 29, 2019
Free daily newsletter
- Want to discover more constructive journalism stories? This app curates them in one place
- Six simple steps to beef up your cybersecurity while working from home
- Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist launches a stress management tool for newsrooms
- New mobile journalism learning tool is set to win hearts
- Reuters launches AI-powered tool to speed up discovery of historic videos