Suitable for anyone new to freelancing as well as established freelancers looking to move into the glossy magazines market, it is also ideal for staff journalists looking to add an extra string (and income stream) to their bow.
The six week course is taught online with lectures, assignments, guidance and support offered via email, while the flexible start date means the course can easily fit around busy schedules.
It includes one lesson per week with assignments, ongoing feedback, help with pitching and a full critique of a piece of work.
By the end of the course you will have written a pitch and a full-length feature that you will be proud to send to editors.
What will the course cover?
Week 1: Stiletto bootcamp
- How various glossy magazines – and their readers – differ
- Writing different types of features, including investigative, celebrity, real life and fashion and trend pieces
- What goes on behind the closed doors of women's magazines: the good, the bad and the (really) ugly
- Where to get ideas from – and how to know if an idea is a good one
- Turning one good idea into three
- How to pitch your ideas
- What an editor is looking for
- How to make the right impression
- Researching and interviewing
- Learn what to look for, researching tools, what not to say in interviews and how to get all the information you need
- Finding an angle and writing a hook
- Different writing techniques, plus how to edit
- How to give your feature the 'wow' factor
- Contacts, networking and going all the way...
For more details, to suggest a course, or to express interest in becoming a trainer please contact us.
Terms and conditions.
See more training courses or find out about our range of in-house training options.