The Daily Mail and General Trust has ruled out buying or launching
any more local newspapers, but says it is interested in any approaches
for its own regional newspaper division, Northcliffe.
DMGT chief executive Martin Morgan told reporters this morning:
"As far as local papers are concerned we've been quite clear that we are
not interested in putting fresh capital into that sector.
"We are open to any worthwhile approaches concerning consolidation if they were to occur."
Morgan also said today that DMGT had yet to decide "one way or
the other" whether to get involved in the new local TV initiative
proposed by culture secretary Jeremy Hunt.
"We are certainly studying the opportunity," he said. "How exactly this operation could be run profitably remains to be proved."
Free daily newsletter
- Cairncross: innovation in local newsrooms cannot wait any longer
- Yorkshire Evening Post teams up with The City Talking to reach a younger audience
- Mail Online announces plans to open new offices
- DMGT: Mail Online records 74 per cent rise in revenue
- Local World aims to be 'one-stop shop for local content'