NewsCloud borrows the "tag cloud" methodology from socially organised sites like del.icio.us and Flickr to display stories using tags, weighted in size according to the number of sources.
Using material from the Google News gateway, stories are interrogated for keywords, which appear in larger type depending on the number of news organisations covering the event.
The site, written by Fernando Serboncini, builds on previous efforts, including the The Observer blog's "folksonomic zeitgeist", to highlighted related keywords when a reader points at a link. While the project is currently just an experiment, Mr Serboncini aims to roll out a UK version soon.
Free daily newsletter
- Does your news organisation have under 500 employees? If so, you could get your hands on the latest Google cloud technology — for free
- Theatre, newsrewired and Snapchat: Here's your weekly journalism news update
- Google launches News Initiative, investing $300 million to help publishers tackle subscriptions and misinformation
- Applying for the Digital News Initiative Innovation Fund? Here’s Google’s advice
- Google awards €20.4m to media projects in Europe as part of the fourth round of its Digital News Initiative