NewsCloud borrows the "tag cloud" methodology from socially organised sites like del.icio.us and Flickr to display stories using tags, weighted in size according to the number of sources.
Using material from the Google News gateway, stories are interrogated for keywords, which appear in larger type depending on the number of news organisations covering the event.
The site, written by Fernando Serboncini, builds on previous efforts, including the The Observer blog's "folksonomic zeitgeist", to highlighted related keywords when a reader points at a link. While the project is currently just an experiment, Mr Serboncini aims to roll out a UK version soon.
Free daily newsletter
- 'Platforms should pay for news' a peer committee says
- “Hey Google, tell me something good”
- Google is giving $6.5 million to fact-checkers focusing on coronavirus
- Half of publishers bet on reader revenue as their main income stream in 2020
- Weekly journalism news update: design thinking, mobile journalism for local news and UK data units