NewsCloud borrows the "tag cloud" methodology from socially organised sites like del.icio.us and Flickr to display stories using tags, weighted in size according to the number of sources.
Using material from the Google News gateway, stories are interrogated for keywords, which appear in larger type depending on the number of news organisations covering the event.
The site, written by Fernando Serboncini, builds on previous efforts, including the The Observer blog's "folksonomic zeitgeist", to highlighted related keywords when a reader points at a link. While the project is currently just an experiment, Mr Serboncini aims to roll out a UK version soon.
Free daily newsletter
- Finding purpose for AI in the newsroom
- Fact-based journalism is under attack. What can we do about it?
- Newsrewired special: How The Times is running towards a digital-first future
- Platforms and public interest journalism, with Sameer Padania
- Google News Showcase: Is it viable for the smallest of newsrooms?