Social media has become an intergral part of the way journalists now do their jobs, whether it is used to distribute stories, to find eyewitness, or simply to share experiences with other reporters. But is there a trick we might be missing?
To find out more about closed social media groups and networks and how these might be useful to journalists, Mark Frankel, social media editor at BBC News, researched this "interesting and under-used beat" over a 5-week period.
In a talk at Journalism.co.uk's newsrewired event, he outlined his findings about closed Facebook Groups, WhatsApp groups, Discord and Reddit. Listen to highlights from his research in this week's podcast.
Free daily newsletter
- How your news organisation can share Instagram Stories with a select audience
- How to cope with 'overwhelming' information in your newsroom
- Struggling to find podcasts worth listening to? Let Piqd help you
- 3 Instagram Story hacks that you might not have known existed
- Tip: Check out these resources for journalists interested in social media