Forget football, cricket and athletics, the world’s fastest-growing sport is live video gaming.
Esports, which stands for electronic sports, sees nimble-fingered professional game-players compete in matches and worldwide tournaments online, and often in stadiums and arenas full of thousands of screaming fans.
In this week’s podcast, we talk to Jack Stewart, a 21 year old graduate of the University of Brighton, who was snapped up by the Daily Mail to cover this new beat.
He explains why the publisher has started to take this genre seriously, and gives his advice for others looking to get into the role.
Free daily newsletter
- Newsrooms must learn how to use AI: "Trust in journalism is at stake"
- Difficulty to monetise content holds publishers back from innovating on voice platforms
- With local investigative journalism increasingly under threat, do we need new business models for news?
- How to improve diversity in your news organisation: Takeaways from D Word 3
- 'I never want to be this dependent on one platform': Can your publication survive without Facebook?