Forget football, cricket and athletics, the world’s fastest-growing sport is live video gaming.
Esports, which stands for electronic sports, sees nimble-fingered professional game-players compete in matches and worldwide tournaments online, and often in stadiums and arenas full of thousands of screaming fans.
In this week’s podcast, we talk to Jack Stewart, a 21 year old graduate of the University of Brighton, who was snapped up by the Daily Mail to cover this new beat.
He explains why the publisher has started to take this genre seriously, and gives his advice for others looking to get into the role.
Free daily newsletter
- Prothom Alo is building the largest mobile journalism network in Bangladesh
- Media's focus on technology tends to be short-term, shows survey
- The rise of esports: Why the Daily Mail hired a full-time reporter to cover live video gaming
- Tip: Bookmark these resources for planning digital initiatives in the newsroom
- 5 lessons learned from an innovative media organisation