Forget football, cricket and athletics, the world’s fastest-growing sport is live video gaming.
Esports, which stands for electronic sports, sees nimble-fingered professional game-players compete in matches and worldwide tournaments online, and often in stadiums and arenas full of thousands of screaming fans.
In this week’s podcast, we talk to Jack Stewart, a 21 year old graduate of the University of Brighton, who was snapped up by the Daily Mail to cover this new beat.
He explains why the publisher has started to take this genre seriously, and gives his advice for others looking to get into the role.
Free daily newsletter
- How 45 journalists started again, and built a profitable news business from scratch
- Applying for the Digital News Initiative Innovation Fund? Here’s Google’s advice
- Startups with innovative solutions for newsrooms can apply to global programme until 8 January
- Tip: Ask these questions before adopting new tools and workflows in the newsroom
- 2017 year in review: Media news highlights, from memes to virtual reality and political journalism