How much of a say should news outlets have over what their journalists post on social media?
If you're in the process of putting together a set of social media guidelines for your company or are simply curious, take a look at this a list of social media guidelines from international news organisations including the BBC, Associated Press and Reuters.
The list was curated by Kelly Fincham, a journalism professor at Hofstra University in New York, who has also annotated each set of guidelines with a brief comment: "Exhaustive and excellent – particularly on retweets" (AP), "Must for aspiring sports journos" (ESPN), and, "In a nutshell: Don't be stupid (BBC).
Hat tip to Marc Settle, project producer at the BBC College of Journalism, who tweeted about this list.
Free daily newsletter
- Newsrewired throwback: Engagement is ‘about creating a party and making it rock’
- Tip: Here’s how to better share analytics with your team
- The UGC hub at the BBC builds trust with readers by involving them in the reporting
- Tip: Check out these free tools for mobile audio
- Tip: How to adapt large journalism projects for small newsrooms