How much of a say should news outlets have over what their journalists post on social media?
If you're in the process of putting together a set of social media guidelines for your company or are simply curious, take a look at this a list of social media guidelines from international news organisations including the BBC, Associated Press and Reuters.
The list was curated by Kelly Fincham, a journalism professor at Hofstra University in New York, who has also annotated each set of guidelines with a brief comment: "Exhaustive and excellent – particularly on retweets" (AP), "Must for aspiring sports journos" (ESPN), and, "In a nutshell: Don't be stupid (BBC).
Hat tip to Marc Settle, project producer at the BBC College of Journalism, who tweeted about this list.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Learn how to restrict your internet access to focus on writing
- Tip: Follow these 10 steps when fact-checking a politician's claims
- How publishers can get their community back from social media
- Tip: Try out these tools to help you write and edit your stories
- Highlight your expertise and be there to listen: The dos and don'ts of building trust with readers on Facebook