How much of a say should news outlets have over what their journalists post on social media?
If you're in the process of putting together a set of social media guidelines for your company or are simply curious, take a look at this a list of social media guidelines from international news organisations including the BBC, Associated Press and Reuters.
The list was curated by Kelly Fincham, a journalism professor at Hofstra University in New York, who has also annotated each set of guidelines with a brief comment: "Exhaustive and excellent – particularly on retweets" (AP), "Must for aspiring sports journos" (ESPN), and, "In a nutshell: Don't be stupid (BBC).
Hat tip to Marc Settle, project producer at the BBC College of Journalism, who tweeted about this list.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Posting to Instagram? Make your captions count with these recommendations
- Tip: Advice for incorporating data skills into a journalism curriculum
- Tip: How to prepare for interviews and ask tough questions
- Tip: Take note of this reporting advice from experienced journalists
- Tip: Make use of these resources for community building