Sexual harassment at work is unacceptable, but is unfortunately something that many people encounter in newsrooms across the world.
Check out this article from journalist Sherry Ricchiardi at IJNet, who explains how she has met multiple media professionals facing gender inequities in the workplace.
She explained some of the challenges and obstacles faced by workers due to gender-based harassment, and lists tips on how they can effectively handle abusive behaviour in the newsroom.
These include making clear that suggestive comments are not acceptable, becoming familiar with harassment guidelines and lobbying managers to create a system for reporting such behaviour.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this advice to make sure you are prepared for the next viral hoax
- Tip: Teaching journalism? Bookmark this advice for teaching news writing online
- Tip: Check out this advice for getting your profile noticed on Instagram
- Tip: Take note of this advice when verifying videos on social media
- Tip: Advice for working with collaborative data journalism projects