Sexual harassment at work is unacceptable, but is unfortunately something that many people encounter in newsrooms across the world.
Check out this article from journalist Sherry Ricchiardi at IJNet, who explains how she has met multiple media professionals facing gender inequities in the workplace.
She explained some of the challenges and obstacles faced by workers due to gender-based harassment, and lists tips on how they can effectively handle abusive behaviour in the newsroom.
These include making clear that suggestive comments are not acceptable, becoming familiar with harassment guidelines and lobbying managers to create a system for reporting such behaviour.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to tell if that account tweeting at you is likely to be a bot
- Tip: Check out these books on journalism and writing
- Tip: Check out this tool to communicate with eyewitnesses in times of crisis
- Tip: Take note of these global news habits which will affect the journalism industry
- Tip: Bookmark this advice when buying a mic for your smartphone