With a huge amount of information being published and discussed during the pandemic, audiences increasingly distrust traditional media to report accurately on covid-19.
"Building relationships, securing subscriptions and attracting event attendance requires more of a commitment from audience members and tends to bring a higher rate of return. More importantly, publishers and journalists should listen to their readers and do something more akin to service journalism to best engage and serve the audience," he writes.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Getting your foot in the door of the industry
- Reuters Institute Digital News Report: 'Overall, we feel quite optimistic about where the industry is heading'
- Tip: Know your immigration vocabulary
- Tip: A freelancer's guide to solutions journalism
- Tip: A BBC journalist's guide to working in podcasting