Articles focused on solutions also tend to generate more engagement from readers than stories that simply highlight the problem.
If you'd like to start writing solutions stories, check out this article on IJNet for tips on how to approach this type of reporting and more examples of solutions journalism in the media.
One thing to keep in mind is that solutions journalism, or constructive journalism, does not mean positive news or feel-good stories.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: How to tell stories using small data sets
- Tip: Check out these apps to enhance your mobile storytelling
- With its latest series The Upside, the Guardian will focus on solutions journalism in five key areas
- Tip: Check out this guide for getting started with investigative data journalism
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for pitching feature articles