One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this guide for contacting sources on social media
- First Draft Partner Network launches to connect media and technology companies to improve social newsgathering
- How to integrate Snapchat into your social media strategy
- Copyright tips to remember when producing online videos
- Distributed news: 3 takeaways from a discussion between digital editors and technology companies