One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- How to source user-generated content legally with Lobster
- Tip: Here's what you need to know before your first Facebook Live
- 'People like to know they're being heard’: Facebook Live at NowThis
- How CNN is recreating the #Rio2016 experience for audiences on social media
- 'We are fearless in experimentation and we move quickly': Facebook Live at CBC News