One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- How NowThis coordinated social media and field reporting to safely cover a week-long protest
- Advice from Facebook for reaching wider audiences after the latest newsfeed updates
- Emotion and identity: Why journalists should cover the wider context behind memes
- App for journalists: Adobe Spark Video, for creating social videos on the go
- From podcasts to chat bots: Engagement experiments at Harvard Business Review