One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this Facebook group connecting freelancers with celebrities and publicists
- Tool for journalists: Trends24, for monitoring popular topics on Twitter
- Tip: Remember this advice for creating more engaging Instagram posts
- Tip: How to use social media analytics to find new angles on stories
- 'We are in an information war' – How journalists can begin to tackle the misinformation ecosystem