One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Take note of these live video lessons from Le Figaro
- Tip: How to keep your Twitter profile out of trouble
- Tip: Check out this list of tools for creating social media posts
- App for journalists: Tailor, for stitching your iPhone's screenshots together
- Why Vox has been crowdsourcing for its latest international documentary series