One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Tool for journalists: The Snap Map is now available on the web, outside of Snapchat
- 'Everything is a red flag': The challenges of the new media movement in Syria
- New initiative Finding Common Ground offers funding for newsrooms to expand existing engagement projects
- BBC Ideas aims to inform and entertain audiences with short factual videos
- Tip: Remember this advice for setting up a verification workstation