One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- WATCH: Audience engagement tips from Kristen Taylor, former community editor at Serial Season 2
- Advice for sourcing eyewitness media from social networks
- #newsrw: How to follow along with the latest newsrewired event
- Information security for journalists: Protecting your data and sources online
- Tip: How to improve your Twitter searches