One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Remember this advice while livestreaming on YouTube
- App for journalists: Clips, for creating videos with animated captions
- Why AJ+ is focusing its efforts on longform storytelling from the field
- Advice from BBC News and Trinity Mirror for introducing debunking into the newsroom
- Optimising for trust: Advice for news organisations to improve their relationship with the public