One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- 4 tips from LBC to make audio more engaging on social media
- European news consumers tend to trust TV and radio more than social media and the written press, study finds
- Tip: Consider these key points when using social media in the Middle East
- Mobile journalism is helping CBC focus on digital storytelling
- Tip: How to succeed on social without agonising over metrics