One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Japan’s NHK is experimenting with one-minute documentaries for social media
- Tip: Check out this advice for improving the reach of your podcast
- France Info has been drawing the news and taking fact-checking to the streets
- The GENII project encourages student journalists from six countries to collaborate on stories
- A Snapchat news channel from ARD and ZDF aims to engage young audiences in current affairs