One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- Data, video, sponsored content and more: Survey highlights what publishers will be prioritising in 2017
- Facebook launches free online training for journalists
- Tip: Where to find inspiration when you need story ideas
- Report: Nearly a quarter of news articles include social media embeds
- Tip: Here's how to keep your professional and personal contacts separate on Facebook