One aspect of verifying images and videos found online is to look for any landmarks present in the shot that could identify the place – any buildings, bus stops or metro stations for example.
You can then compare the photo to satellite imagery available online. Here's a handy guide from First Draft News explaining how to use Google Earth to verify videos or photos found on social networks.
Free daily newsletter
- The Everyday Projects challenge stereotypes through photography and Instagram communities
- Newsrewired throwback: Engagement is ‘about creating a party and making it rock’
- Tip: Check out these free tools for mobile audio
- Tip: Remember this advice for writing strong headlines for social media
- With AM to DM, BuzzFeed brings the morning news show to Twitter