Whether it's business, technology or sports, getting started in any journalism specialism can seem daunting, especially when there is no shortage of reporters already covering your chosen beat.
In this post on Medium, football writer Kristan Heneage provides five tips for breaking into sports journalism.
Among his advice is to show initiative by reaching out to editors on social media to pitch stories – without being "pushy or demanding" – and to try and find a niche that will allow you to become the go-to reporter in that particular field.
Want to find out more about working as a sports journalist? Check out our interview with Sky Sports News presenter David Garrido.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark these tools to save your digital work
- Tip: Take note of this advice for investigating large data leaks
- Tip: Use this card game to plan which storytelling elements your project should include
- Tip: Check out this advice for editing Instagram images within the app
- Tip: Here are seven questions to ask before choosing comics journalism as a format for your story