Whether it's business, technology or sports, getting started in any journalism specialism can seem daunting, especially when there is no shortage of reporters already covering your chosen beat.
In this post on Medium, football writer Kristan Heneage provides five tips for breaking into sports journalism.
Among his advice is to show initiative by reaching out to editors on social media to pitch stories – without being "pushy or demanding" – and to try and find a niche that will allow you to become the go-to reporter in that particular field.
Want to find out more about working as a sports journalist? Check out our interview with Sky Sports News presenter David Garrido.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth
- Tip: Check out these recommendations before bringing podcasting into the classroom
- Tip: Bookmark these tools for collaborating on investigative projects