News organisations need to take into account the importance of social media on the communications landscape in the Middle East, notes Damian Radcliffe in this article from IJNet.
Radcliffe summarises five key trends that journalists should be aware of when using social media in this area, including how the Middle East loves video – including that from social platforms like Snapchat and Instagram, and the importance of navigating privacy concerns and other restrictions.
"Journalists and news organisations need to recognise that this will impact newsgathering and distribution, so we can expect to see continued interest in encrypted services like Telegram, WhatsApp, and the alleged favorite of White House staffers, Confide," he explains.
Free daily newsletter
- Newsrewired throwback: Engagement is ‘about creating a party and making it rock’
- Tip: Here’s how to better share analytics with your team
- Tip: Check out these free tools for mobile audio
- Tip: How to adapt large journalism projects for small newsrooms
- Tip: Check out these multimedia resources from the ONA17 conference