News organisations need to take into account the importance of social media on the communications landscape in the Middle East, notes Damian Radcliffe in this article from IJNet.
Radcliffe summarises five key trends that journalists should be aware of when using social media in this area, including how the Middle East loves video – including that from social platforms like Snapchat and Instagram, and the importance of navigating privacy concerns and other restrictions.
"Journalists and news organisations need to recognise that this will impact newsgathering and distribution, so we can expect to see continued interest in encrypted services like Telegram, WhatsApp, and the alleged favorite of White House staffers, Confide," he explains.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Tech guide to freelance journalism
- Digital News Report, #GENSummit and mobile journalism apps: here is your weekly journalism news update
- Eight social media strategy tips to take into your next job interview
- 'We are just like the audience': AJ+ is reinventing its newsroom to reach the younger generation
- Facebook plans to help news publishers generate revenue