News organisations need to take into account the importance of social media on the communications landscape in the Middle East, notes Damian Radcliffe in this article from IJNet.
Radcliffe summarises five key trends that journalists should be aware of when using social media in this area, including how the Middle East loves video – including that from social platforms like Snapchat and Instagram, and the importance of navigating privacy concerns and other restrictions.
"Journalists and news organisations need to recognise that this will impact newsgathering and distribution, so we can expect to see continued interest in encrypted services like Telegram, WhatsApp, and the alleged favorite of White House staffers, Confide," he explains.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Are you a podcaster? Check out these Facebook groups and podcasts for advice and support
- Tip: Learn the best practices for adding text to social videos
- Tip: How to use SEO tactics to maximise audience growth
- Tip: Check out these recommendations before bringing podcasting into the classroom
- How NowThis coordinated social media and field reporting to safely cover a week-long protest