News organisations need to take into account the importance of social media on the communications landscape in the Middle East, notes Damian Radcliffe in this article from IJNet.
Radcliffe summarises five key trends that journalists should be aware of when using social media in this area, including how the Middle East loves video – including that from social platforms like Snapchat and Instagram, and the importance of navigating privacy concerns and other restrictions.
"Journalists and news organisations need to recognise that this will impact newsgathering and distribution, so we can expect to see continued interest in encrypted services like Telegram, WhatsApp, and the alleged favorite of White House staffers, Confide," he explains.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Bookmark this guide for making the most of social media analytics
- European news consumers tend to trust TV and radio more than social media and the written press, study finds
- Tip: Learn more about recording equipment by following this audio production guide
- Tip: Advice for planning large editorial projects with fewer resources
- Mobile journalism is helping CBC focus on digital storytelling