News organisations need to take into account the importance of social media on the communications landscape in the Middle East, notes Damian Radcliffe in this article from IJNet.
Radcliffe summarises five key trends that journalists should be aware of when using social media in this area, including how the Middle East loves video – including that from social platforms like Snapchat and Instagram, and the importance of navigating privacy concerns and other restrictions.
"Journalists and news organisations need to recognise that this will impact newsgathering and distribution, so we can expect to see continued interest in encrypted services like Telegram, WhatsApp, and the alleged favorite of White House staffers, Confide," he explains.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Filming on a smartphone? Here's some key advice from the BBC
- Tip: Advice for setting up new products and projects in the newsroom
- 10 tips for setting up your LinkedIn profile
- Tip: Check out these data and interactive journalism resources from NICAR 2018
- 'Look for the sweet spot between news and context' – How to make your live streams more engaging