Mr Peel, who joined the Financial Times in 1996, replaces Bob Sherwood who is now FT's London and South East correspondent.
His new role will involve reporting on the UK's criminal and civil justice system and other legal issues on corporate and civil life.
Managing editor Dan Bogler said: "We are delighted that Michael, with his experience in financial and accounting matters as well as a strong background in investigative reporting, has rejoined the FT as its legal correspondent."
Free daily newsletter
- 3 takeaways about audience engagement from #ONALondon
- Google awards funding to 128 European projects as part of its Digital News Initiative
- Audience data should be tied to newsroom goals to be effective, report finds
- Project management in the newsroom – what are the benefits?
- 'Hone your craft': Newsroom training advice from FT and NPR