Mr Peel, who joined the Financial Times in 1996, replaces Bob Sherwood who is now FT's London and South East correspondent.
His new role will involve reporting on the UK's criminal and civil justice system and other legal issues on corporate and civil life.
Managing editor Dan Bogler said: "We are delighted that Michael, with his experience in financial and accounting matters as well as a strong background in investigative reporting, has rejoined the FT as its legal correspondent."
Free daily newsletter
- The Financial Times' first VR experiment shows viewers around Rio's favelas
- FT used 360-degree video to add a new dimension to an ongoing project
- Inside the Financial Times' special projects strategy, six months on
- How publishers can learn more from their newsroom experiments
- 3 takeaways about audience engagement from #ONALondon