Lister, who has been at the Times for eight years, moves from his current role as assistant news editor and will now be responsible for health related stories for both the print and online editions.
Prior to this he was a health correspondent, a Scotland correspondent and a general news reporter for the national newspaper.
"Do not sensationalise," advised Lister to aspiring journalists. "Keeping cod science out of the media is as important as getting good stories in."
Free daily newsletter
- Prioritising the reading experience at The Times: Why the paywall prompts radical thinking inside the newsroom
- Podcasts, eyewitness media and new models in digital publishing: Highlights from newsrewired
- Fact-checking and Facebook Live: How publishers are covering the EU referendum
- NRS: Mobile-only UK readership of The Times and the Guardian grows as other publishers see drop
- What's it like being a motor racing correspondent? Q&A with Kevin Eason of The Times