Lister, who has been at the Times for eight years, moves from his current role as assistant news editor and will now be responsible for health related stories for both the print and online editions.
Prior to this he was a health correspondent, a Scotland correspondent and a general news reporter for the national newspaper.
"Do not sensationalise," advised Lister to aspiring journalists. "Keeping cod science out of the media is as important as getting good stories in."
Free daily newsletter
- What's it like being a motor racing correspondent? Q&A with Kevin Eason of The Times
- What 3 publishers have learned from their approach to paywalls
- New open source tool to help reporters rethink quotes in stories
- The Times digital team launches 'quoteable' image tool
- Times paywall policy 'vindicated' by first profit since 2001